Moving forward?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving forward?

Post  onlooker on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:07 am

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum, have raced V8s in the past and have been a regular spectator of the V8s since I packed up racing. I am going to say what I think should happen with the V8 formula in order to attract more drivers. It is only my opinion but I think it will be interesting to see what others think as well. Here goes:
Change the rules as follows:
ENGINES
Only standard engines - 4 barrel holleys can be used but only on an agreed manifold. Same manifold for everyone using Holleys. Flat top pistons only. Cams - either standard or can be changed to what would be an agreed one. Again basically the same for all.
Exhaust Manifolds - Standard
CARS
Revert back to the old style chassis - 2 Main chassis rails with sumpguard. Engines mounted centrally same distance from front pulley to front axle for all cars.
Axles - Volvo or Sherpa back axle. Standard or shortened transit/sherpa beam or fabricated beam front axle.
Coil overs - same type for all plus same mounting place for all. Leaf springs optional.
GEARBOXES
Ideally all cars run with the same gearbox and gearing. Which ones I don't know!
TYRES
Change the avon to a new agreed cheaper regulation tyre. Same tyre all round.

I'm sure there's some talking points amongst that lot but my honest opinion is if the above changes were made it would make the cars a lot cheaper plus the cars would be easier to build. A combination which I think would attract a lot more drivers and secure the future of V8 stock cars.
What happens to the cars that are out there now I hear you say. Well if things were put into place now, the new rules could be phased in, thus allowing the present car owners to continue racing them for now. For the start of next season, or even the one after, all cars to comply with the new rules. Most if not all could be converted to the new rules and engines could be sold on.
Thats it, what do YOU think?

onlooker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moving Forward?

Post  JT Racing on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:53 am

Hi,
Well some interesting thoughts. Firstly welcome and may we enquire, purely out of interest as to how long ago you raced?
Your suggested rule changes :-
ENGINES -Only standard engines - are you suggesting a 350? If so we are only allowed Flat top pistons.
Cams - 350's are only allowed 0.5 (1/2") lift.
CARS -The cars would loose their originality and start looking the same. The next question that then would be arise is Who would build them?
GEARBOXES -You obviously realised we have already come across that problem
TYRES -Change the avon to a new agreed cheaper regulation tyre. Same tyre all round. Which tyre? This has been a discussion point for the last, We wouldn't like to say how many years. Standard road tyres are not strong enough and don't have the staying power. Therefore you would be buying more tyres which would/could end up costing more.
Some of your thoughts seem to be stepping back into the past, We're not sure any money would be saved in the long run without doing feasbility studies, but thank you for sharing your thoughts.

John & Rosemary
JT Racing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving forward?

Post  onlooker on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 am

Hi, I used to race in the eighties. I'm not saying any more than that as I wish to remain anonymous. Also as I said in my previous post, it is only my opinion but thought it would be an interesting topic.
In response to yours
ENGINES
Remain as they are now but only standard 350s to be used sometime in the future. Phase out the 283s
CARS
Cars lost their originality a long time ago. They all look the same now with the wings. In answer to Who would build them? if they reverted to 2 main chassis rails and sump guard, I would imagine a lot of people would look at how they are built and think along the lines of 'I could make one of them'. They would also be a lot cheaper to build. Who builds cars now? A limited few due to their complexity - and what do they cost?
TYRES
Keep the tyres as they are if it'll work out cheaper in the long run. You win that one Very Happy

Finally, yes I am suggesting take a step backwards for the good of the formula. Make the cars more equal, easier to build and cheaper and the chances are you'll attract more interest from drivers of other formulas. The cars themselves wouldn't handle as well but that would increase the spectacle which also seems to have been lost generally in all open wheeled formulas.

onlooker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

moving forward

Post  V8 Supporter on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I feel that any input on car spec can be good, but feel that the promoter must start to inforce the rules as per the rule book,also when you look at the grades there seems to be to many reds,super stars for a fomular
with sub 50 drivers, why can the promoter not make the grades more whites,yellows and blues, and make sure that the reds/super stars start 3/4 of a lap down. when veiwing wimbo the other week the super stars were at the front very early in the race.
The lower grade drivers have less of a chance when the track staff do not form the grid correctly spaced.

Thanks for the veiwing
V8 Supporter

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

moving forward

Post  alangray521 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Some good points there.

Engine. you say use a standard 350. what standard 350 this engine can come in about 4 different standard forms so what one do you use. Plus do you go to say someone like real steel and buy one of the shelf if so there about 1500 to 3500 pounds depending on what power out put one you get and there standard. plus there are probley some people who have got that sort of money just to lay out in one go..I dont think that would work that well because them chevy are so in changeable that you can get me power then someone else by changing heads etc.. and there all standard bits..

sorry about the spelling and grammer but i am not very good at this

many thanks
alan gray

alangray521

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 Supporter on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi,

What about sealing the engines as they do in other fomula, once they have been checked by the promoter.

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  onlooker on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 am

alangray521 wrote:Some good points there.

Engine. you say use a standard 350. what standard 350 this engine can come in about 4 different standard forms so what one do you use. Plus do you go to say someone like real steel and buy one of the shelf if so there about 1500 to 3500 pounds depending on what power out put one you get and there standard. plus there are probley some people who have got that sort of money just to lay out in one go..I dont think that would work that well because them chevy are so in changeable that you can get me power then someone else by changing heads etc.. and there all standard bits..

sorry about the spelling and grammer but i am not very good at this

many thanks
alan gray

Hi Alan, is there not a way to determine that everyone runs the same engine, same heads etc or are there reasons this couldn't be done? The idea behind my comment was to eventually make engines all the same.
I'm not a mechanic so I wouldn't know myself.

onlooker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 am

I was speaking to a driver today who suggested restrictor plates would be the answer, as in NASCAR.
What do you drivers think?

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE -MOVING FORWARD

Post  chippy396 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:18 am

Sorry to haveto say I toldyou so,but just before we split from the hotstoxI put forward similar sort of changes& the majority on both sides said no.We couldhavehad a really good formula with 60 plus cars.I think the same people who said no then are the ones that are moaning about car numbersnow.I await your replies.

chippy396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

moving forward

Post  V8 Supporter on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi,
It looks very positive with 18 V8's booked in for Aldershot,It would be nice to think that Ipswich will see 20+
cars for 2nd May.
The Cars are there just need to get a few more cars on a regular basis.
Hot stox do not seem as entertaining as the V8 stockcars
The tyre thing might help if it comes to anything.

Yours in Racing

V8 Supporter.

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top