Ideas/Suggestions to push the formula forward

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ideas/Suggestions to push the formula forward

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:38 am

If anybody has ideas/suggestions with regards the V8 Stock Car formula, please put them on here for all to see.

I'll start it off by suggesting that a condition of the license is that you race a minimum of five times. Anyone not complying with it is fined £50 at the end of the season. All £50 fines go to V8 prize money by way of grade awards etc.
Anyone wishing to race a one off or race a hire car could take out a day license. If they wanted to race again, they would have to take out a full drivers license but the day license racing would count as one meeting.

That's it, now your responses!!!!!
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forum.buygoo.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Ideas/Suggestions to push the formula forward

Post  no longer registered on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Good post admin. Now lets see some response. It's take your head out of your butt time. Here's my suggestions.............

1) Restrictor plates - to limit the usefulness of mega bucks engines. The top guys will still win but it just might entice a few more drivers out on track if they think they have half a chance.
2) Find a cheaper tyre. Make the running costs cheaper whilst also limiting the grip that the top lads can achieve on the current rubber. Again, the top lads will find a set up to make their cars work on cheaper rubber. Running costs are reduced making it cheaper.
3) Have a drivers committee. This group will keep the formula organised / informed. I see it time and time again that the drivers say bad things about the promotion. That kind of thing will get you nowhere. Regular meetings to discuss ideas / relay information and deal with problems.
4) Put some incentives in aimed at getting more cars on track. Whether that be for the sake of less meetings with greater numbers or making the top guys start further back to give the lower graders a chance. Something needs to happen to widen the scope of competition.
5) Keep developing the guest driver appearances. This helps raise your profile. Anything to get race fans talking about your formula is a good thing as long as it's positive.

That'll do for now.

no longer registered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jmg on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:22 am

I agree with the posts above but I also think the tracks are a problem.
Yarmouth is on a sunday evening and drivers have got to work the next day as most drivers are around the southern area would it not be easier to not bother going up to Yarmouth next year, plus most drivers I have spoke to dont even like Yarmouth.
I think Spedeworth need to take their heads out of their butts and start to help this formula, what's the point of promoting a bunch a chavs in bangers (not racing in my view).

Cheers.
Jack.
jmg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Next Year

Post  V8 Supporter on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:14 am

Hi you lot,
Well here goes
1. Start a prize pot which all drivers pay in to each meeting say £5 each all drivers that have paid pick a number and the final winner draws a number, the winning number gets £25 to £50.The rest of the pot stays in and accumulates over the rest of the year. At the end of the year you could present trophies for most meetings attended,best presented car, most travelled,best newcomer,entertainer of the year,most points scored.
2. Make sure that grids are in their correct order.
3. Ristrictor plates a good idea.
4. 2010,30 years of V8 Stockcars make sure that the public know this fact.
5. Track champions at the most popular tracks.
6. Find and test differant tyres.
7. Lower grade drivers get trophies.
8. Only have an English,Points and London champion, 2 super stars, 4 red Grade, 6 blue grade, 8 yellow grade and the rest white grade.
The top drivers will remain top, and all the others will be fighting to grab points and getting away nearer the front of the grid.
I await your replies.

V8 Supporter

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pardews Love Child on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 pm

jmg wrote:I agree with the posts above but I also think the tracks are a problem.
Yarmouth is on a sunday evening and drivers have got to work the next day as most drivers are around the southern area would it not be easier to not bother going up to Yarmouth next year, plus most drivers I have spoke to dont even like Yarmouth.
I think Spedeworth need to take their heads out of their butts and start to help this formula, what's the point of promoting a bunch a chavs in bangers (not racing in my view).

Cheers.
Jack.

I resent that last bit,I'm racing a banger today at Wimbledon and i aint no bloody chav !!!!!!!! It's my first time on track in over 20 years today and one of the reasons i picked todays meeting was because the v8's are on aswell and in an ideal world the v8's are the formula i would like to get into next year......I spoke to Mr Bloomfield at the last Aldersot meeting about having a go in his hire car but i've really got no exeriance,there would be no point in just jumping into it then going straight into a race,i need some practice in it first and that's finished till Aldershot re-opens next march,so i'm going out in a banger to see if i've still got "the nerve".....

I see that your trying to get new drivers into the formula,well here's my position....I started speaking to Brad (815) on the net maybe 6 weeks ago and watched him in action at the last Aldershot,to see if i could pick up any tips !!!!! The thing thats stopping me at the moment is cost,i just hav'nt got the money to get into the formula,about 2 months ago i had nearly 3 grand saved up but then my road car went bang and that cost just under 2 grand to fix but by the look of it,3 grand would'nt still be enough to get into the formula and now i've only got just under a grand i've got no chance,thats why i may have to look down the "rookie-rod" route for the time being.

So there you have it,i'd love to get into the formula but i just can't afford it !!!!!!!!!

Regards

Simon.

Pardews Love Child

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jmg on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Apologies for the "chavs" comment.

Speaking out of frustrastion at the constant promotion of bangers over other formula's.
jmg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Next Year

Post  V8 Supporter on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Bangers will always get good coverage because they bring in the crowds, the V8's are always worth watching
when there are 16+ of them.
The way forward is to reduce costs, I was speaking to Colin moss this week when he did some work for us and
he said that the travelling was not a problem but the cost of tyres,shocks and engine damage for him this year was around £1000, which may not seem alot but when work is slow and his nearest track is over 2 hours away
you can see that we do have some loyal drivers if not sucessful drivers ,they are there week in week out
White, yellows are the life blood of any fomular, with more people that take part for fun rather than to win these are the guys that need to be cheered and not jeered.
lets get some new drivers who do not spend the earth to entertain the crowds but race to make friends and enjoy their racing.

Hail the likes of Colin Moss,Brian Scott,Simon Hogg, Rob Beale these are the guys that travel with little mention
or rewards for their efforts.

Yours in Racing
V8 Supporter.

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjg on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:59 am

Hi All.

Some very good suggestions raised from above.

For me, the most important point raised is the need for some sort of drivers committee.
The V8 formula has been floating around for a while now with no one steering the ship.
I know through conversations with some drivers that there is plenty of passion for this formula, but there seems to be little or no guidence to move it forward.

The few drivers who contribute to this forum are the one's who have the passion for it. Maybe the formula needs their drive & passion to take it forward.

Unfortunately it's only the drivers who can move this forward. That's why I feel a committee of some sorts is vital.

Yarmouth & mid week Eastbourne meetings are pointless in the current climate.
Ok it's less meetings, but in this case less is more!

The rumours that have been hanging around for some time have had a damaging effect on drivers moving into the formula. Who would move into a formula where the visual support by the promoters is nearly zero.

Lastly on a positve note, good to see plenty of posts. Would be nice to hear other drivers views, as it is your formula!

Regards.

mjg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:09 am

Bit of a difficult one this, as i dont really think there is alot wrong with the formula, once you have a car and tow vehicle the running costs are the same as any other formula. And competative cars are out there at reasonable prices as are starter cars.
Hopefully now we are secure ,more drivers will appear next season as i agree that 20+ cars are a must to make it stockcar racing.
We have had recent grade awards in the mr excavator and the harris racing grade award in the world final, and hopefully something similar can happen next year?
Tyres can be picked up cheaply as a few people sell good quality seconds, but the yokahamas are a bit on the dear side i admit.
Not sure about restrictor plates as i dont think you can ever use 5.7 ltrs on a small oval anyway ,its all about handling and set up in my opinion.
Anyway just my veiws as they say its good to talk and this forum is an excellent way to put yer point accross so sign up and have a say in the future of our formula.
Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:48 am

bobdernob2 wrote: as i dont really think there is alot wrong with the formula
Sorry Bob, but there obviously is something wrong with the formula, in its current state, or there'd be more cars out on track and more interest generally. Drivers must accept the fact that something isn't right, find out what it is and put it right before it's too late.
I'm not a current driver as you know but my personal opinion is that the cars are too expensive and too complex to build. Go back to two main chassis rails, simple sump guard and roll cage for starters, I think that'll be a giant leap forward in itself. Cars could then be built in weeks instead of months and they wouldn't be too difficult to build either.
I know the above isn't going to be too popular with certain drivers but I am entitled to my opinion.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  no longer registered on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:49 am

bobdernob2 wrote:i dont really think there is alot wrong with the formula
There in lies the problem. With all respect Rob, it is this kind of attitude that has gotten the formula to where it is now. You HAVE to realise that there are problems, address them and move on. If you can't see that there are problems then you are doomed.
bobdernob2 wrote:Hopefully now we are secure ,more drivers will appear next season
How do you know if either of your points are true ? You CANNOT keep on saying that more drivers will appear without actually doing something about it. Ask yourself how your formula would attract new drivers ?
bobdernob2 wrote:Tyres can be picked up cheaply as a few people sell good quality seconds, but the yokahamas are a bit on the dear side i admit.
So, you're happy to run on other peoples cast offs ? and expect others to do the same whilst those with the money can buy new ? come on, get real. Why shouldn't you and others be on the same level playing field ? Make the tyres cheaper, more hard wearing and less grippy which will make them last longer, whilst those with the big bucks engines will struggle to get the power down therefore making it easier for the slower engines to compete.
bobdernob2 wrote:Not sure about restrictor plates as i dont think you can ever use 5.7 ltrs on a small oval anyway ,its all about handling and set up in my opinion.
Then throw away your Chevy and bolt in a 2 ltr Pinto. Seriously, thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Of course handling is very important and engines do have a limit to just how much power you can lay on the floor but the point is EXPENSE. Limit the use of the engine and it makes it pointless in spending too much money on them. The cheaper the engines, the cheaper the running costs. The cheaper the running costs the more drivers will be interested etc etc etc It isn't rocket science. No one says you have to ditch your engine but surely making a level playing field will help the whole formula. The top guys will still win as they probably spend the most time in the garage and have the most knowledge. But, making the formula affordable will entice new blood. Long gone are the days when you could bolt in a standard Chevy and expect to compete. Perhaps a restrictor plate might help make those days a reality once again ?
I mean absolutely no disrespect to Rob at all but his reply is an illustration as to why the formula is in the shape it's currently in. You have the makings of a great formula but it needs a lot of tweaking and organising. It looks to me that some can see the problems while others cannot and or refuse to ? The sooner you realise that the formula does have issues, the quicker you can all put them right and have a product that people will want to go and watch / drive.

no longer registered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:44 am

outsider wrote:
You HAVE to realise that there are problems, address them and move on. If you can't see that there are problems then you are doomed.
Make the tyres cheaper, more hard wearing and less grippy which will make them last longer, whilst those with the big bucks engines will struggle to get the power down therefore making it easier for the slower engines to compete.
Of course handling is very important and engines do have a limit to just how much power you can lay on the floor but the point is EXPENSE. Limit the use of the engine and it makes it pointless in spending too much money on them. The cheaper the engines, the cheaper the running costs. The cheaper the running costs the more drivers will be interested etc etc etc It isn't rocket science. No one says you have to ditch your engine but surely making a level playing field will help the whole formula. The top guys will still win as they probably spend the most time in the garage and have the most knowledge. But, making the formula affordable will entice new blood. Long gone are the days when you could bolt in a standard Chevy and expect to compete. Perhaps a restrictor plate might help make those days a reality once again ?
The sooner you realise that the formula does have issues, the quicker you can all put them right and have a product that people will want to go and watch / drive.

100% agree with Outsider, the sooner the current drivers accept THERE ARE ISSUES AND THAT CHANGES ARE NEEDED, the sooner the formula can push on.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alangray521 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 pm

There are some good things being said on here for once which makes a change and alot of it from ray (admin). which i will get on to. When i first started about 4 years ago i went out brought a cheap little car and went and had some fun. I started to go well get places but needed more revs as i was only pulling 5500 round most tracks. So i started pulling more revs and got loads off engine trouble till it went bang that engine only lasted about 2 years but in that time it did have a couple of rebuild rings, shells etc. So now had to go out and build a engine to rev which is not cheap but there are people who say engines last for years i have not found it personily. So the days where a cheap engine will get you places are long gone i think watching wimbledon last night proved that. So get to my next point i have a engine what gearbox do i put on a cheap one first zf gearbox out of a cf when was the last time you see bedford cf let alone try and get a gearbox for one. There a places like ebay, breakers but alot of the breakers are going in london so it gets harder. The next choice is a doug nash which are alot of money i think around £1500 and then you need the gear sets gets expensive but if you do get one you dont loss as much power from them as you do a zf and you can put more power though them. Now the axles volvo or sherpa but the getting a little hard to get hold of now a days but with a volvo you dont get many problems with them. So theres a problem straight away i have to go and found three different motors to get bits from because nothing is standard. Where if you do go in to a different formula like super, lighting rod, stock car i go out buy one car i have a engine gearbox and axle..

ADMIN WROTE
I'm not a current driver as you know but my personal opinion is that the cars are too expensive and too complex to build. Go back to two main chassis rails, simple sump guard and roll cage for starters, I think that'll be a giant leap forward in itself. Cars could then be built in weeks instead of months and they wouldn't be too difficult to build either

But i think thats a sign of the times things move on and the v8 did not till about the last 2 years ago and people try different things and that make the cars go quicker. I have got cast off tyres and the car goes well on them whats the point in putting new tyres on to get the car to handle. Get a car to go well on crap tyres first and then move on to good one but as i have got second hand tyres of people and i just keep running them and still get places. So i think they are too expensive in some ways but it is as expensive as you make it but a big big problem is the cars for sale are far to expensive when you can go and buy another car in another formula for less money and race more cars. I dont know the answer i think its a great formua i like diving the v8 but things have got to change in an idea world keep the cars moving forward in the way they are with handerling but the cars have got to be cheapper in the second hand market.

alan gray

alangray521

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 am

Hi,

No problem at all outsider, i wish more people would respond on here as it is a good way of expressing yourself in the open instead of the usual pit gossip.
I raced f1 in the late seventies for 4 seasons then had a break for 5 years,then went to go back into it but found it had got way too expensive, so we went into Hotstox ,i raced with them, and when we raced with the spedeworh cars all the political stuff started and i got a bit dissilusioned with the hotstox, and started looking at the spedeworth v8s and found the expense was about the same as beleive me some people were spending mega bucks on their cars in hotstox as in every formula! Also the southern cars were alot more like f1 (but one hell of alot cheaper) .
I sold my hotstox and got the ex Harris hire car for alot less and went to blue and even had a month in the red grade!
I then got the ex blomfield car for £1500 and would have won in that one but i bent the chassis at swaffham and it never handled since! I have now bought another car with a diamond chassis for £600 less engine which if we finish it off right should be the best ive ever had, we will use the 3 speed chevy gearbox which i got for £100 and they are bullet proof, tyres well as i said inside rear yokis are expensive but good quality avon seconds i cant see a problem with as the most i have spent on them is £25 sometimes from polley and sometimes from Rob sellar and already scrubbed in.
I absolutely love this formula and the people in it so perhaps i am looking through rose coloured glasses and any suggestions to make it better should be welcomed but if everyone who had a car raced it we would be well into the twenties every meet and thats when i feel we would get more cars.(stand by for responses!)

Yours in v8s Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  v8racer on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:56 am

I'm a driver who has a car but I guess have become a little disolusioned with the formula over recent years.

The prize money has been the same since 1998/9 I think, yet fuel has gone up in a big way in recent years...and even the Championship prize funds have been cut on demand based on car numbers at a particular meeting. Those drivers attending don't get the money they're due as the powers at be deem that not enough cars turned up. It's not the drivers who are at the meetings fault is it?

We've also seen in recent years the reduction of Championship meetings and trophy meetings. Go back 3 years, trophies were often provided by Spedeworth, this year most meetings are without trophies and meetings with trophies (including championships) are more often than not sponsored!!!

We all want the formula to progress, but not at the expense of drivers and cars. There must be 10-15 cars lying around that drivers have but aren;t racing due to various reasons.

In recent years we've seen the introduction on Doug Nash gearboxes, we were told at a cost of £1000 ish, when they got in this then became £1500+.
We were also led to believe that only two gear sets would be allowed to match the existing zf gear ratios...I belive the rule now is that any gear set can be used...well what's £70 for a gear set...everyone can spend £70 for each set with 6 different sets for each track needed can't they?

We've seen engine rules change to allow more powerful 350's to be used. Roy started the engine rules being changed as he had (I think) the vision of dome topped 350s is every car...

Meeting results are becoming more and more predictible...unless you have very deep pockets...it seems you're wasting your time racing. As Alan said earlier he's had to get his engine revving to keep up with people...this isn't what the formula was about...you could buy a competitive engine for £1200 years ago...but that level enigne is useless these days. You could bolt this inexpensive engine into a car costing around £500 and go racing and get a placing somewhere.

In every formula you'll have a handful of drivers that try something different or have deeper pockets than the others...but it's the rules that need to be addresssed to ensure that everyone is on a level playing field.

In response to people saying the formula should have driver reps...there are currently two...Peter Scott (98) and John Turner (323)...they've been in place for many years. We did have for a time Peter Blomfield and one or two others, but i belive Spedeworth deemed the formula to have too many and cut it back to just Peter and John. Why don't we vote in the reps every year, with no re-election within 12 months? We've had drivers meetings in the past for every driver who hasn't raced for 2,3 or more years turns up and starts trying to get the rules altered...then they don't get out on track!!!
Rosemary Turner has in the past been the liason between drivers and Spedeworth too...and has always been happy organising things.

As for saying no meetings in Yarmouth etc... what about those drivers who live in the area, whilst most drivers live in the South, there still needs to be meetings at Yarmouth and in this area! Meetings at Yarmouth (and we've asked this for many, many years) should ideally be on a Bank Holiday Weekend or afternoon meeting...

The formula needs a new tyre (which is harder than the existing one, but not so hard it never wears out!), needs to look at the rules and enforce the rules. in general V8's need an overhaul, but it's down the Spedeworth and the Drivers to work out exactly what and how.

v8racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  no longer registered on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 am

Do you not find it strange that at least one of your driver reps has absolutely no presence on your main forum to help relay info to you the drivers ? I'm not having a pop but surely some kind of presence would be good for you all ?

You could still have the same driver reps but what about regular driver meetings to discuss issues and ways of bringing the formula on ? Surely if you all knew what was going on or had a say in how things developed, you would all start to pull in the same direction ? It's no good looking like a Swan above the water - all serene and calm - but paddling like mad underneath the water with no real intent.

Concerning Spedeworth. Well from an outsiders point of view I do see a lot of you criticising them for their lack of support / involvement but, try to see it from their point of view. In recent years the formula has suffered very low car turnouts albeit some tracks supported better than others. There is only so much they can do to help a formula. The best thing you guys can do is make them take notice, prove them wrong and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reaction you'll get.

At the end of the day a promoter needs to make money or there is no point. Their efforts will always be channelled towards the most successful formulas whether you like it or not - it is a business. Think of it like this, you're in business, you have a squad of sales reps. Amongst that squad you have your high end performers who regularly pull in the work and you have those that barely make their targets. Which ones would you support / give bonuses to ? But, suddenly the little guy begins to perform. He shows real promise and begins to get new customers.....maybe he is worth sending to that big new client ?

Sometimes it's as simple as what you can do for them rather than what they can do for you. Call it a sign of the times but that is the reality of it.

no longer registered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ideas for next year

Post  V8 Supporter on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 am

Hi,

All of the points made are good but the drivers must start to respond to these.
The drivers reps need to be more proactive rather than reactive, all stockcar racing is suffering not just the v8's, when we have web sites and cars going up and down main roads to and from meetings surely the teams must talk to others, Friends,Sponsers,tyre companies,other promotors.
Why can we not attact more Drivers,supporters and differant tracks to race?

Because far to many drivers have cars and do not race or the top guys get away with to much rule bending, some drivers only do 3 or 4 meeting a year but still retain their grades.
Make those drivers start in their highest grade achieved

Can any of you name 20 drivers that have raced at 75% of the meetings?
Ok name 15 drivers.

I think you will find 12 or 13 at most.

Where are the following 4,35,274,875,28,125,29,27,183,547,7

i await your ideas!!!

yours in racing
V8 Supporter.

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjg on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:46 am

Do you not find it strange that at least one of your driver reps has absolutely no presence on your main forum to help relay info to you the drivers ?

Spot on Outsider! I'm glad someone else has noticed that.

It's quite clear that there has been a lack of communication for a while now.

Good to hear Alan Gray's views.

Regards.

mjg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 am

To start with there is nothing wrong with the Avon tyres, any other tyre cannot take the power, alternatives have been tried in the past by various drivers, the last, I belive to be Pete Blomfield #42, tried a cheaper tyre and had no luck with it, no grip. Dont know how any other DRIVER would feel racing a 300+hp car with poor grip tyres!!. The tyre we use at present works well when new and will be just as effective when it is bald. The more observant of you may notice that some drivers run tyres down to the canvas and still retain good places.
The F2s tyre is no good, even they are using twice as many compared to the avon, working out more expensive than the Avon.
I use second hand tyres on my car and have been in the top 5 on the grading list for most of the year and finished 3rd in the points.

For the people thinking that the faster cars are making results predictable they need to look back over the last few years of racing. Drivers have a good year or two leading or winning most races, then everyone else matches the pace and another driver will be winning races, look at other formulas its the same.

Most formulas are struggling, all due to this stupid credit crunch. If I remember rightly at a Yarmouth meeting there was 5 Van bangers and 2 of those were cars with the rear windows taped up, they even got trophies. That night the V8's were asked to do a grand national, which they happily did. If you compare the number of registered drivers we have to car turnout out at each meeting we have over 50% of our drivers racing.

My car is about 18 years old proving you dont need to spend a fortune on new chassis. My engine is not high powered or built to rev and still does well, needing a refresh after 3 years racing. Restricting engines is possible. If you restricted engines it would have to be across the board. This could and probably would be more detremental to the people driving low budget and less powerful engines and therefore would not have the desired effect. Restrictions such as this could only work if everyone was running the same engine with the same output to start with ie a stock crate engine. IF this happened a date would have to be set within the rules for the engine change but this would be the nail in the coffin for the formula. What DRIVER is going to want to or be able pay out for a new engine when they have already payed good money for the engine they are using?

We have rules on our engines that state a maximum of what we are aloud to use.

A drivers meeting is a good idea but only for registered drivers who have raced this year.

Simon 324
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JT Racing on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 am

Hi

I am more than happy to continue my role and liase with anyone, afterall it was the drivers that requested I do the job.
It may seem to some that I have taken a back seat, and there have been reasons, but I still have probably more passion for this formula than a lot of people. Yes I will happily support this formula in any way I can. I will phone drivers to see if they can help increase numbers at race meetings, but when you drivers are getting calls from everyone to find out if you are racing the last thing you want in this hectic life is yet someone else pestering.

A drivers meeting could be organised, but it would be just for registerd drivers, IF it was really wanted and IF it would achieve anything and not just end up being little clicks of conversation going round in circles.

As to BOC John and Peter go to the very few meetings that are held and if anything of consiquence is addressed then this is passed to the drivers, although often the V8ís donít even get a mention. Just because your representatives donít reply to everything that appears on the forum dosent mean they donít know or care whats going on. THEY DO.
We all have invested as much as anyone else in this formula and would be devistated to see it fold..

You have our number, my email address or you can pm me through this site but please use your real name donít hide behind sudenames , have the courage of your convictions.

Yours in racing

Rosemary
JT Racing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  v8racer on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Granted....there hasn't been a new tyre that's been found that is as good as the Avon. Maybe Avon could harden the existing tyre compound so it's slightly more hard wearing, as I thought a few years back the F2's were getting Avon to soften the compounds yearly so they could get more grip etc. This not only gives you more grip but also allows the more powerful engines to get that power on track.
The Avon's are a pretty good tyre I guess, plus trying to get existing cars back on track, changing the tyre isn't helping get them back out is it? Maybe I was a little premature in asking for the Avon to be culled!!

Maybe there should be two meetings, one for existing drivers to discuss the formula and one for interested drivers looking at coming in, with a intro to the formula and info on cars given out along with cars for sale and the help/support from existing drivers. Maybe a test session early next year could be organised for new drivers to bring their new/revamped/bought cars and a handful of existing drivers could attend to help them out?

I've long been a fan of the V8's and think it is and can be a good formula...so I'm not knocking the formula in general...but there's obviously an issue or issues which need to be addressed. Paul Huggett in this months Short Circuit might have hit the nail on the head with his comments as to why a number of drivers may have stopped at least in part this year?

As for everyone on the same engine...disagree, though I also don't think people should be spending '000s on engines either...maybe a form of budget cap on the engines? Though how this could be policed is anybody's question. Different engines add to the formula. Maybe the exhaust boxes could be taken back a few years, I've heard rumblings of people worried about the noise? How about going back to 2.5" exhaust boxes and pipes instead of the 3 or 3.5" ones at the moment? Find a single cheap exhaust box everyone must use...this would also stop the more powerful engines from getting all their gases out? Maybe standard manifolds too? All things to think about.

Maybe we need to go back a few steps to begin to move forward...?

v8racer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alangray521 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:18 pm

I think there are some good points there again from people. I do have to agree with simon (324) the avons are a really good tyre and i won the british a few years back on a bald tyre on the outside rear at yarmouth and i do mean bald. I cant remeber when a put a new tyre on whats the point if the car handles on bald tyre why put new ones on..

As for the exhaust boxs i think dennis harris did put them in the rules which ones was the cheapest and i think there the ones i run and the harrises and i think the turners run them they are 16.00 dollers each from the states and i think they come in three days whats wrong with that.

As for the drivers reps i really do not have a problem with john fair play to him doing it but i have never been asked who i like to vote for each year someone said that blomfield was on the board whos choice was that cause i always fort it was mr turner and mr scott. you also do you not get any feed back about meetings. Like i say i any not having a pop at anyone just stating a point that i belive to be close to the mark.

alan gray

Last edited by alangray521 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

alangray521

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moss8one5 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:33 am

I personnally feel that for our promoter to listen to anything we have got to say as a group be it about rule changes or anything else we need to get the drivers with cars out on track, Deane is not interested in changing rules for a dozen cars. so we as a group have to start to listen to the guys and girls that are not racing at the moment for what ever reason. And the ones who are thinking about starting.

The great thing about this formula is that everyone is willing to help each other out with parts , advise and time when asked.

I have also noticed that there is another thread on here about cars and yet no-one has posted on there. Does this mean that everyones cars are ready to race? (no it doesn't) It means people are either too proud or too shy to ask for help which worries me. If i needed anything this would be the first place i would go for advice or to just borrow some bits.

If you need help ASK!!!!!! we want to help.

The more cars we can get to a meeting the more chance there is of the few people who are interested in giving this formula a go will seriously consider it.

Come on nail your flags to the mast.

MY NAME IS BRAD MOSS AND NEXT YEAR I WILL BE RACING A SPEDEWORTH V8 STOCKCAR IN THEIR 30 YEAR ANIVERSARY OF RACING. (I WANT TO RACE SO I WILL.)
moss8one5

View user profile http://peaheadz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  no longer registered on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:14 am

Sounds like either there is nothing wrong with the formula or certain people refuse to realise that things need to be changed.

Here's my recipe for guaranteed failure :

keep pampering to the top drivers who will tell you that there is nothing wrong with the rules so why change them.

Why not make the Tyres softer so that those with lots of power can take even more of an advantage

ban standard engines, we all know that no one in their right mind would race a v8 with a standard engine and expect to win right?

Restrict input into the formula to registered drivers only. Who needs the input from potential drivers and points of view from interested parties?

Stop racing at far away tracks. We don't need the exposure from half of spedeworths punters eh?

Bury your head in the sand and kid yourself that new drivers will be interested in your formula without actually doing anything proactively to stop the rot

keep anyone that is showing any interest as far away from the organisational side as possible. Meddling blighters.

In short, it is obvious to me that those with all the toys are not happy to share.

no longer registered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

lets go forward

Post  skunkworks on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:22 am

on a light hearted note to satisfy the admin, why dont we apply to go on scrapheap challenge and build a v8. think of all the tv exposure etc etc and then the admin could race it.

on a serious note, its good to here peoples views, even if we dont all agree with them.i get the feeling people in general think jnr buys his success. i completely disagree.i here you saying"" well you would do."" the car which i built 4 years ago, is not complex, the important parts are in the right places. peter is a very good driver,we dont have the dearest engine on the grid,we bought 4 new tyres for the world, the rest of the season was on secondhand and old tyres,we dont spend a lot of time in preparing the car due to workload, the car is totally legal.what makes it win, simple jnr knows how to drive and i know how to set cars up, that combination doesnt cost money, its called gifted and talented.

im sorry but at least i m honest. as for the tyres there is nothing wrong with them at all. when your car is handling even with all that power, they still last quite a while. if your car isnt handling it will burn any tyre up. the other important thing with these tyres is it caps the speed within reason.a racing tyre will simply raise the speed, a cheap tyre will make less handling cars even worse

restrictor plates only work if all the engines were the same i have strong views on the engine rules.you should never have a formula with two sets of engine rules, it doesnt work.the rules for the 350 havnt changed in the last 5 years to my knowledge, there have been slight changes to the 5 litres.a few years ago you could get away with a 350 crate engine and win races consistantely, then came along titch gardener, with a bit of help from roy eaton.thres an old saying "if you cant beat them,join them" thats where it went wrong.then you get the maurice sullivans, the roy eaton powered ross car.what a level playing field you would have if they were all crate engines 330hp.i think the people to blame here are no longer in the sport.

as for rule bending ive heard all the rumours tyre softner, funny fuel. ive even . seen a driver throw his fuel away after a meeting. at the end of the day there is no enjoyement in winning a race knowing youve cheated. there is nothing wrong with shell optimax or tesco when you go to aldershot

as for all the drivers putting there money in a pot, thats the promotors job.without the drivers he couldnt promote. i feel the promoter needs to get behind you and not keep sticking the knife in.this can only be done by discussion and not dwell on the past

to get bigger grids i have made my thoughts known in other threads
p.s i dont race anymore because ive lost the buzz. my sons would like to race, the reason they dont is simply dad wont build a car for a formula that wants to be in a time warp
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top