Ideas/Suggestions to push the formula forward

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ideas/Suggestions to push the formula forward

Post  Tim Piper on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:54 am

I have to agree with the previous post unless you get rid of the racing engines and gear boxes then there is little point in discussing any future because there will be non. Alan Gray belief he would be completive is misplaced because the cost of his entire car would not buy the engines people are now allowed to use let alone a complete car, unless you address the cost issue like the hot stox have done then it would fair to say these discussions are pointless and if the people who have spent the money on engines / gearboxes are now in control then the budget racer is merely out there for them to pass and look good and have no say in how the things should be run, no point in replying saying they do because they do not, we had a good formula which has been ruined by money spending which was encouraged by Roy and Mark Eaton and others, they have all moved on and left the mess behind Dean Wood has no internist because he inherited the formula and suppose has no intention of cleaning up the mess and would rather put his efforts to something more constructive, that is how i see it from the sidelines and would suspect lots will agree, you will say what can be done again you will need to look at what the hotstox have achieved to find the answer,

Tim Piper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  no longer registered on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:57 am

So, if you can find another dozen drivers with enough knowledge, budget and of couse machinery to keep up then all is well? I'm not sure who is in a time warp or what planet they are on.

Well good luck all. Ignorance is bliss and obviously in charge.

P.S. Two engine rules....30+ cars each meeting says they do.

no longer registered

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 am

skunkworks wrote:what makes it win, simple jnr knows how to drive and i know how to set cars up, that combination doesnt cost money, its called gifted and talented.

No disrespect to either of you but if that's the case how come Jr wasn't blowing everyone away in the old car?
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forum.buygoo.net

Back to top Go down

going forward

Post  skunkworks on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 am

because i was helping his dad i think we(98) one quite a bit then and the bits aint all in the right places, not bad for a car that is15yrs old thou
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

for next year

Post  V8 Supporter on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 am

Hi everyone,

The avon tyre might be a good tyre but there must be others that will work as well, Avon have a replacement for the 7.3 that has been offered to another fomular.

I have been trying to get a set for someone to test but as yet no joy.
The Tyres that Pete 42 tried were they a hard compound or soft,
Dave Luscombe tried a Goodyear not so long ago,it was no good in the wet but really good in the dry the tyres had done over 250 laps at differaent tracks and they were cheaper than the 7.3 Avon.

yours in racing
V8 supporter

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

goodyear

Post  skunkworks on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 am

lets all go on goodyears then pray for rain and have a ball. the promotor can put up a trophy for the best entertainer and crash. there you go we have found the answer
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:31 am

Quite agree with a lot of Skunkworks comments...certainly agree he know's how to set the car up and jnr is talented in the cockpit...the rest is down the competition to compete with them.

I'd assume that this general post is aimed at the likes of myself too, as in I'm an unregistered driver with a car that's gathering dust in the garage. Like skunkworks I guess I've lost the buzz that came with the racing back in 1999 when I first borrowed (or in fact) Daryl lent me his car for a few meetings. That gave me the bug that had laid dormant for many years...I did my apprenticeship with my Dad's Fiat bodied car from 1999-2002, then got a front running race winner in 2003.

I'm not 100% sure what's exactly wrong with the formula, it's a great formula with some great drivers and lots of good people involved.

The tyres are quite durable when the car's handling...in 2003 when my car last handled properly, I had no complaints with the tyres, I think Dad rarely wears the tyres out on his when it's running well. Tends to go through rims more than tyres at the moment.

I personally doon't see a problem with having two engines in use, they've been like that for a number of years...though a lot of you reading this would say I'd say that, as I run a 283, as does Dad and Terry and Daryl will too with his new lean mean 'green' machine in 2010. Racing against the others there isn't much difference in power between a 350 and our engines.

With earlier comments about drivers meetings, both Dad and Daryl are un-regsitered but both raced once this year, would they be excluded? I've attended a few of these drivers meetings over the years and to be quite honest they never lead to anything constructive! They only end up as I think rosemary said before, cliche's all joining together and having their own agenda...one wants a new tyre, the other engine changes, another different looking bumpers, others different points/prize money etc etc.

I'm looking at coming back next year after a few years off, I last raced at Ipswich back in 2007. Many people on here have many opinions on what's wrong with the formula but what seems obvious to me is that something needs to be done...otherwise we'll all have to turn the cars in large garden planters, kit cars or very nice looking pieces of kit left in a garage somewhere.

As a previous/semi-retired driver, I can't give you much direction of what's wrong with the formula as I gave up for a variety of reasons, running a Company, moving house and then this year we've had our fair share of death and illness at home and in the family. Dad stopped through these and other reasons...but one thing that did cheese him off was being disqualified at Yarmouth a few years back passing a pace car that wasn't even on the track and a few other decisions by stewards which were incorrect in our opinion.

I'd say there is interest by others in the formula but that 2nd hand cars are too expensive, there's a lack of people (if any) building new cars either at all or at an affordable price...maybe it's the thought of putting a car together?

As Brad says, we are a friendly bunch who'll only be too happy to help out. Daryl's had help from Russ Williams which I know he is appreciative of in getting his car completed. Terry and Dad (Dennis) Harris have always been more than happy to give advice in the past (even at their own detriment on track)...I'm also only at the end of a phone if I can help as is Daryl (I'm sure he'll happily post here and confirm or deny this!). John and Rosemary Turner are always helpful if anyone needs anything too.

I think a few years ago someone mentioned about providiing a sheet with info on car parts used to build an affordable car and places to obtain the items needed? Maybe this might breakdown the barriers of building a car? Daryl has a diagram with some basic info on his new car which will be at the NEC in January I think...maybe this is the way forward??

Don't know if any of the above helps out or give more food for thought
Robert

On another note, I know that Elite do their own Dog Box, which I think the F1's had some problems with, but the cost is cheaper than a dougnash? With our cars being lighter and less hard hitting....are these a more affordable option than the dougnash units?

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 Supporter on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 am

Hi,
It looks like we have found the man for the Job
empty your piggy bank and buy spedeworth !!!

your in racing
v8 Supporter.

V8 Supporter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:53 am

If there was a better alternative than the 7.3 avon, think it would have been tried!

I'd recently heard about the goodyear...not good going back to the days of a two tyre formula (one ofr wet and one for dry)...we had that back in the 80's with Yokohama's and Nobbly tyres!!!!

Don' think the tyres are the issue...

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 am

All this talk of changing things isnt going to encourage more drivers out on track. All it will do is drive people away as they are going to have to change cars (parts) possibly engines, just to try and get a few more cars out if anything making everyone pay out more will end the formula.
We have rules that have hardly changed over the years.
As things are spedeworth hardly ever check any of our cars, when was the last engine strip after a world final??
And after speaking to 99 at the weekend he seemed dissapointed that his car wasnt checked after the world so he clearly has nothing to hide. Which means to me his car is up to the maximum the rules permit, which has been set by previous spedeworth promoters as said earlier that are no longer around!!
So why has it taken so long for the formula to reach this maximum? When all other formulas all race to the maximum permitted in the rules.!
Personally i dont feel there is anything wrong with the formula its the promotion or lack of. Combined with lack of trophys and prize money.
Does anyone know what spedeworths main formula is for brisca its F1s and F2s
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 am

The last engine strip was when Colin won the World 2007/8?...had a head off etc...

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:13 am

2007 so what has happend to the last 2 years of championships and finals not even a simple weight check, once again promotion
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 am

I think the excuse when David won it in 2008 was that you're Dad was injured so there wasn't anyone to oversee the strip...

As I said earlier, not 100% sure what's wrong with the formula...maybe it's as you say, needs promotion mainly...would suggest the formula self promoted...but what other company do you have that get people to pay to watch a group of people that turn up for free to entertain the public, if you're lucky you might get back what you paid out in petrol and diesel when you go home?

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

going forward

Post  skunkworks on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:22 am

yes it would have been nice to have been stripped. i think it stopped when no7 won Laughing
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:23 am

On another note:
Are the BS6658/A helmets redundent next year?

sure I read they were out of date next year, somewhere recently...

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:25 am

It was me that was injured, so no other person knows what is legal in v8 then cant belive that. Not sure about the helmet number not had a rule book in the 4 years ive been racing
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

going forward

Post  skunkworks on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:27 am

just a thought,is there anything stopping you bolting two wheels together as per the autounion grandprix cars of the late thirties
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:29 am

Sorry...you're Dad went with you to hopsital?? if I remember correctly!??? My memory isn't quite what it used to be!

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pg125 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 am

rob, bs6658 becomes obsolete at the end of this year the you have too change to fibreglass type with a E22 number on it most of us have now already changed but you had better check urs against the rule book mate.
best regards

Last edited by pg125 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

pg125

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 am

yeh he went with me. but like i said cant belive no one else knows about v8s. must of been another reason for not checking them. er whats it called oh yeh lazyness and lack of support for our formula
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobV831 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:44 am

Thank Peter...

well one of the last uses for my helmet was a bowling ball at Wimbledon! Think I need to change it anyhow.

That'll cheer Dad up too...he needs a new one as well...looks like Christmas is gonna be expensive.

RobV831

View user profile

Back to top Go down

going forward

Post  skunkworks on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:52 am

on a serious note would you get more car turnouts if the scotts left the formula., or shall we put a crate engine in the car with just a fin plate
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:52 am

be well worth it though when ya get out racing again Very Happy
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  V8 324 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:54 am

an no stopping the scotts wont get more cars out, everyone else me included need to update our cars to the maximum the rules permit
V8 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 am

V8 324 wrote:an no stopping the scotts wont get more cars out, everyone else me included need to update our cars to the maximum the rules permit

But what if everyone can't afford to do that? That's the problem, they're too expensive.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forum.buygoo.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top