RACING TOGETHER WITH V8 HOT STOX ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RACING TOGETHER WITH V8 HOT STOX ?

Post  weggie on Mon May 16, 2011 1:48 am

Yo!...having a quick "web-trawl" as you do, Foxhall music-man Terry Newell has posed the following question on the V8 oval Raving Forum:..

Why don't the Spedeworth V8 Stock Cars ever race with the V8 Hotstox?? I remember some cracking racing between them in the late 80's

...I do too, remembering their World Final at Ippy when the V8 boys were soon despatched as I recall. Rolling Eyes

Again, my recollection is that the differences in engine sizes/other technical aspects proved to be too much of a gap? Or was it something else? Appreciate travel costs is an issue, but, even if only a handful travelled either way, it would be great!

So, at a time when "bums on seats...racing ones" is ever-more important, I ask you folks....what chance is there - of what must surely be a good idea - of this being repeated, with a fresh and determined look at trying to bring everyone, ultimately, together, ie like Deane is trying to do with the 1300cc Stock Cars? Appreciate no-one wants to "throw away" perfectly good kit if the rules change, but if it is phased in over time perhaps? The Brisca F1's are so popular 'up North', surely something similar 'down South' could one day be achieved to everyone's benefit if we are work together?

What do you think folks? Question Ideas, comments & thoughts welcomed!....That's your weekend "Starter for Ten"!!!! Very Happy

Cheers, Weggie

weggie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RACING TOGETHER WITH V8 HOT STOX ?

Post  bobdernob2 on Tue May 17, 2011 6:20 am

Hi Weggie,
I raced Hotstox when the two factions raced together, although there were some good meetings there were always political things happening, i remember meetings in the back of transporters at Buxton saying why dont the southerners race up here etc, and about the difference in the cars, but i got to redtop with a rover when we raced together!
And there were i felt too many meetings then as you really had to race every week to stay in the points hunt.When things got out of hand after an Ipswich meeting (which included a missed chance by vote to run Holley carbs on the rovers) they decided to go seperate ways.Myself and Roley Emms decided to switch to Spedeworth ,who with the drivers permission gave us two seasons to change the cars to their regs,which we actually did the same season.
I am still freindly with some of the lads from Hotstox ,and a couple of seasons ago asked Darren summers if he would be willing to set up a British open meet at poss Brafield to any car that wanted to race, but it was felt that Spedeworth cars had developed more and were alot faster now, but i live in hope as i think it would be a cracking meet and we would see how far apart the cars are now or not as the case maybe, I do know that the Hotstox are run well now so anything is possible so perhaps another chat to Darren is called for! I know not many people share these veiws but i would love to open talks again on a personal note at least.

Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke_Bantin on Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 am

Hi all
So what about a Spedeworth V8 stockcar v's V8 Hot stox meeting first say at Northampton, just to see how different in speed etc the two types of cars are. The Superstox's / F2's did this a few years ago & it showed up the big difference in those two type of cars. So would the drivers be up for this & as a spectator myself it would be nice to see the Spedeworth lads up against different drivers instead of the same few all the time.

Best regards
Luke
Luke_Bantin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  weggie on Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 pm

...thanks guys for taking the time to reply. Very Happy Very Interesting reading & ideas. Rob - great insight from a Hot Stox perspective. Would be great if you could speak to Darren again and get his latest thoughts.... Also, would like to know what "things got out of hand at Ipswich" was referring to! Question Remeber the Hot Stox getting "stuffed" in the W/f but was that the same meeting/incidents?

I am keen to run with this idea in my ORNews column - don't worry guys & gals, not planning to stir things in any way but simply keen to try and boost the formula further and hence see if there is any mileage in it. Clearly some form of "compromise" in car specs. (both sides) may ultimately be necessary for it to work long-term as opposed to a one-of meeting....something along the lines of when you Rob moved over to Spedeworth. But, if it helps the formula to grow.....

So, what about everybody else out there in V8 land? Question Surprised there haven't been more comments for or against?.....

Equally, anyone else got any ideas for building on the good & hard work that many do to help boost the formula? Love to hear your views!.....

Cheers,
Weggie jocolor

weggie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 am

Hi,
Talking to people on both sides it seems the weight difference is now greater than it was then, which would make the speed difference alot more, basically more like two different formulas,which is a shame i feel.
I honestly beleive we would in time benefit by getting meets in the midlands as we are the closest formula to f1 and at a fraction of the cost, which would attract drivers who cant afford f1, to join as we are as fast as them and dont handle as well making it more a drivers formula.
A really positive note is that there are at least two more cars being built by top drivers, plus the Burton car has been bought by Dave miles, who incidently is i beleive useing it for a demonstration day at Aldershot for an up and coming driver to try (along with his Superstox)Have fun master Grainger!
We should see the Goodswen car back on the raceways soon in the hands of a new (to v8s) driver, also Lee Barnard in his rebuilt car.
Also a certain mr Shippham has offered to put his hand in his pocket if and when we get 20 cars.
Come on lets see your veiws and news and give Weggie items to write about in his columns, he is showing willing to write about v8s so how about it.
Also keep posting on here ,its one of the few places to get news and too few are putting veiws on the site.

Yours Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top