UPDATEING ENGINES AND OTHERS BITS AND BOBS

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UPDATEING ENGINES AND OTHERS BITS AND BOBS

Post  pikey pete on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:53 am

THIS MITE UPSET A FEW BUT MITE GET OTHERS OUT
1ST WHY CAN A 5 LTR HAVE MORE WORK DONE TO IT MAKING ..THE 350 LOOK LIKE A SLUG ON THE TRACK
2ND WHY CANT WE USE ALLOY HEADS WHICH YOU CAN BUY OFF THE SHELF READY TO GO .INSTED OF LOOKING FOR 30YEAR OLD HEADS WHICK ARE GETTING HARD TO FIND AND NORMALEY CRACKED .
3RD DOME PISTON WHY CANT WE USE THEM
4th all run one cam only the same one
I SPOKE TO A FEW OLD DRIVERS WHO STILL HAVE CARS .WITH BLOW UP ENGINES IN THEM AND ANSWERING WAS NOT RACING COZ THE BITS ARE GETTING HARD TO COMPETE WITH ON 350  IF ABOVE WAS ALOUD WOULD BE OUT .
WHAT ABOUT PUTTING RECTSTER PLATES ON SUPER STAR DRIVERS

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UPDATEING ENGINES AND OTHERS BITS AND BOBS

Post  moss8one5 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 pm

pikey pete wrote:THIS MITE UPSET A FEW BUT MITE GET OTHERS OUT
1ST WHY CAN A 5 LTR HAVE MORE WORK DONE TO IT MAKING ..THE 350 LOOK LIKE A SLUG ON THE TRACK
2ND WHY CANT WE USE ALLOY HEADS WHICH YOU CAN BUY OFF THE SHELF READY TO GO .INSTED OF LOOKING FOR 30YEAR OLD HEADS WHICK ARE GETTING HARD TO FIND AND NORMALEY CRACKED .
3RD DOME PISTON WHY CANT WE USE THEM
4th all run one cam only the same one
I SPOKE TO A FEW OLD DRIVERS WHO STILL HAVE CARS .WITH BLOW UP ENGINES IN THEM AND ANSWERING WAS NOT RACING COZ THE BITS ARE GETTING HARD TO COMPETE WITH ON 350  IF ABOVE WAS ALOUD WOULD BE OUT .
WHAT ABOUT PUTTING RECTSTER PLATES ON SUPER STAR DRIVERS
i saw this last night but needed a PC to answer properly 
These are my thoughts

1st  What power lumps are people using?. 

I have no problem with letting everyone know i use a 283 CU engine that has been rebuilt by Hi-spec race engines, The cost of the rebuild i don't think was value for money, but at the time 98,99,547,124 were all using 350's rocket ships and i needed more power to keep up. otherwise i would have stopped racing in this formula.
What you have to remember is that if you go to buy a 350 engine from Reel steel there are 3-4-5 different options you can buy, see below !

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section3a.pdf

(all with different BHP to start with) no to mention they are built in South america and are not the same quality as the old engines that used to be produced in the US. If  we were to go create engine racing like they have tried in the US it will probably kill this formula. No engine will be the same as the next. 
I would be very surprised if the 350's being used to win races are stock off the shelf engines. When was the last time a engine was checked for it legality?

2nd I don't like the sounds of ally heads, cost will spiral out of control and then once we have ally heads someone will want an ally block its just not necessary. 

3rd Domed pistons is a fair question. They don't add a great deal of power but can aid compression. 

4th Cam may be difficult with all the different engines. My dad looked into a one engine supplier idea and the motors were not too expensive and could have been phased in over a number of years to reduce costs for everyone. What i will say is the easiest way to make this fair is a restricter plate. ( not just for the s/s) drivers but for everyone. We also bought one over from the US to trial but was met with resistance. If everyone was made to put the same one on it would make a level playing field. 

Its not a easy subject to go through and please everyone. In a ideal world everyone will be buying the same spec engine from one engine supplier and the engines will all be built to a specific spec. Unfortunately this would mean everyone has to change engine and this is just not going to happen.
moss8one5

View user profile http://peaheadz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:34 am

cheers mossy at least one reply
the ideal of the ally heads is you can go in the shop and buy a pair for £400 ready to go on ebay aftermarkets
instead of driving and looking around the world for cast one which have 202/160 values we cant use , when you get them cracked .no good to us .
283 money magnet or 350  chevy or rover v8 yeah up to the driver what engine they want .but getting the bits easer is up to the drivers as well .
the ideal of the fixed restecter plate for super stars was a another super stars ideal in which I think my self is a good one .its not as if all cars are on pace . me and andy we got a long way to come go yet .
the one rule cam would put all car weather a 283 350  305 est all on the same rev band .and yes you can get the cam off the sheft aswell   £120-180 depends on what one all drivers would go for .
no need to change engines
cheers again

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moss8one5 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:05 am

you are right in what you are saying. 

Do we want cars on track or not ? . If Bruce and Roy are struggling to find the heads i can't see the problem with them using the Ally ones if everyone agrees. If all the drivers who look on here but don't post could log in and say if they have a problem with this or not, Roy can then go to  Spedeworth and they can then make a informed decision either way.

like you say £400 for the pair is not earth ending prices is it. 

come on guys/gals
moss8one5

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:49 am

i think aaloy heads is the way to go.ive just got a pair of 1967 327 heads,fitted them and i am still having problems with water/oil/pressurising the system,its real frustrating ,is it the heads,or the block cracked,but fitting 49 yr old heads to a race car seems a bit pony to me,

greatdane35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:32 am

Personally I think set up is everything as we managed to score well with a Rover and s u carbs! when Hotstox raced with spedeworth we even got to Red top at the time and was on a par with the chevys .
I had a bog standard chevy lump when we came to Spedeworth and won at Ipswich of all places, and the thing was so tired it blew up at the next meet at Aldershot , but the car was handling so good I wasn't even braking into the bends , where as at the mo I am struggling with set up and hardly scoring any points.
You cant use a 350 or any v8 to its potential on such a small track as we race on anyway , look at our lap times and you will see we are on a par with Brisca f1 who spend thousands on their engines.
The 283s etc sound a lot more racey because they rev their nuts off! doesn't mean they are faster in my opinion.
With more cars on track it will be totally different anyway. But you will always get top drivers winning such as Scotty , Burton and Harris because they are class drivers and would still win no matter what car you put them in.
On the ali parts etc , if the parts are cheap then im all for it , but no need to make it a rule if the majority agree with it then do it , but I have to use what I can get at the time , mostly second hand , the car im getting is a top car but the engine certainly isn't but I hope to do well because of the set up and not necessarily the power plant , but we shall see.
See you soon and don't forget those NGK Plugs lol

Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Faggy 259 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:20 am

To be fair I bought a 350 engine to put in Hayley's car to place her engine witch when trying to find heads I needed was more headache then the ex wife lol
I could of bought a set of ally heads and been on track not missing 3 meetings looking for rite heads and when car came up for sale had to buy it but once these heads go wrong I'll have same problem looking for heads so yeah let us have the choice if we want to use them or not low costs to get cars on track and keep them there

Faggy 259

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:38 pm

i have been told that some of the cheap alloy heads on e bay are pretty pony and wont take too much beating up,but the heads from say real steel must be a better bet,but at least they have not seen 30yrs plus of no antifreeze and god knows what else has been chucked at them,its a gamble buying secondhand parts for sure,but we are not rolling around in tons of spare parts for chevys are we?

greatdane35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:44 am

greatdane35 wrote:i have been told that some of the cheap alloy heads on e bay are pretty pony and wont take too much beating up,but the heads from say real steel must be a better bet,but at least they have not seen 30yrs plus of no antifreeze and god knows what else has been chucked at them,its a gamble buying secondhand parts for sure,but we are not rolling around in tons of spare parts for chevys are we?

well greatdane 35 .was talking at the ace café last Wednesday  night and a lot of the lads who race santa pod and give there cars a lot more power and beating then we do on .don't have any probs .they  use them from ebay and no one had a bad word to say ..12 month grantee  that good ant it .but also if they crack guess what  you can weld them up .is anyone getting the point about cheaper racing yet .

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:28 pm

pete,i was talking to someone who has got cheap alloy heads for other cars from ebay,mostly from china and other such countries and have had probs with them,i did buy a cheapo ally head for a datsun/nissan from there and that was agro,but they could of improved by now in quality,and if so it can only be a good thing for us if we did decide to go down that route,poss seems my old heads were ok and it might be a cracked/porous block problem,again most prob due to years old /neglect/left with no antifreeze in winter,who knows,see yer soon

greatdane35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 am

I would say go and get them as no one minds it seems , if it means more cars on track and they are available then I certainly don't see any problems in getting them.
Just my opinion , Any one else want to comment/

Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:53 pm

perhaps we need to have a drivers vote/ballot and tell dean,as it is in the rule book about no alloy heads,i would be for it as 350 heads in good nick are very rare and expensive now

greatdane35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moss8one5 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 am

I'm happy with you doing what you mwwd to be back on track.
moss8one5

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Question Idea Question Idea Question Idea Question Arrow Arrow Arrow

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris396 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Not sure about ally heads myself.But can't see why you can't use them.Personal choice if you can get them cheap enough.
Only thing I would say is if engine overheats may warp heads.
On the subject of restricting top drivers engines I have sujested in the padt that EVERYONE fit a rev limiter.That way it evens things up & as an added bonus could save engine too...Just a sugestion.

Chris396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris396 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:54 pm

Must get new glasses.A few spelling mistakes.Must be old age..

Chris396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi Chris 

Welcome to the forum, Another couple of good ideas, Don't worry about spelling mistakes ( pikey pete dosen't)  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:54 pm

WELL WHAT ABOUT CAST HEADS WITH 202/160/ VALVES THEY ARE CHEAPER THEN WHAT WE HAVE NOW .THEY ARE EASER TO FIND .AND NEWER THEN WHAT WE RUN ON OUR CARS .NOW .

READING THE RULES ON PRICE OF SHOCKS WE CAN SPEND .SHOULD.NT ALL THE SHOCK BE ONE SIZE . AS ONLY 95 +VAT CAN BR SPEND .

A REPLY ON THIS WOULD BE NICE .

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moss8one5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 am

pikey pete wrote:
READING THE RULES ON PRICE OF SHOCKS WE CAN SPEND .SHOULD.NT ALL THE SHOCK BE ONE SIZE  . AS ONLY 95 +VAT CAN BR SPEND .

A REPLY ON THIS WOULD BE NICE .

I can't comment to much on the engine question, because i do not know enough about motors. 

On the shocker question, How many different sizes do you have on all your cars ? 
I run longer shockers on the rear of my car. 
I would suppose if the Shocker buy rule was to come into place then yes i size would have to be determined. 

Could also stretch to a 1 type shocker for all cars, might even get some sponsorship as part of the deal.
moss8one5

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris396 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:38 am

I keep telling the wife it's not all about size.!!!

Chris396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:01 am

I have all the same as I don't cheat like you .please tell me were I can buy long shocks over 15 inch for 95 plus vat gaz and shocktec cant do for that money .only 14 to 15 inch

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moss8one5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:55 am

5star shocks £90 each discount on more than three. Comes I'm short and long. Availabe from n f r raceware. You just got to know where to shop. It might be grim up north but its also cheaper in brisca land
moss8one5

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:00 am

cheers sounds good phone number please .to check them out . Very Happy

pikey pete

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content