AEROFOILS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AEROFOILS

Post  Luke_Bantin on Wed May 21, 2008 1:22 am

Hello
I was just wondering why do all the V8's except Peter Scott jr car have such large aerofoils. Jr used to have a large aerofoil on his last car, but his new (ex Bill Chance) car which did have a large aerofoil when Bill drove it, has now opted to change it to a more like superstox style one. I understand its all to do with downforce & helping the car take the corners better at speed, but jr don't even have off set side fins. Jr didn't seem any slower than the rest of the V8's, so I was just wondering why do we have such large aerofoils. I prefer the V8's having these large aerofoils, as it makes the look the part.

Answers on a post card?

All the best
Luke
Luke_Bantin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AEROFOILS

Post  V819PMK on Wed May 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Having spoken to a couple of top grade Brisca F1 drivers about "big wings" I think they are not essential on our cars as they can be set up for cornering with or without them.However each car needs setting up according to the size of wing fitted.Other drivers may have other ideas on the subject but I feel any budget racers who damage their wing could be better of buying good tyres for their car and a cheaper smaller wing to display their race number on.I personally think the wings do usually make our cars look good but equally I think the #99 Pete Scott Jnr car looks just as good and goes very well with the smaller type wing.
You pays yer money and takes your choice!!

Regards Pete

V819PMK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Big Wing V's Small Wing

Post  PRV8547 on Fri May 23, 2008 4:55 am

I have noticed that Scotty Jnr's car is a bit tail-end happy with that small wing fitted, but he is a bit "madder" on the throttle into the corners than most!!! 547

PRV8547

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Fri May 23, 2008 5:12 am

Hi, Take all the wings off and revert back to roof fins. Then the roofs could be painted in grade colour down to the 'waist' and the spectators would know who's what grade. Roof fins would give the V8s their own identity plus it'd be an expense eliminated. No doubt the cars would corner a little bit slower but as all cars would be affected, would it matter if they did?
Just a thought - now for the onslaught!

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Fri May 23, 2008 5:14 am

Hi, Take all the wings off and revert back to roof fins. Then the roofs could be painted in grade colour down to the 'waist' and the spectators would know who's what grade. Roof fins would give the V8s their own identity plus it'd be an expense eliminated. No doubt the cars would corner a little bit slower but as all cars would be affected, would it matter if they did?
Just a thought - now for the onslaught!

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke_Bantin on Fri May 23, 2008 5:21 am

Thanks for the replys regarding the Aerofoils on the V8's. I just went onto www.mylaps.com & the lap times times make very interesting reading, Peter Scott jr with his small aerofoil has the fastest lap time & speed in heat 2 & the final. Alan Gray had the best fastest lap & speed in heat 1. So this small aerofoil sure seems to work for him well. I have to agree with you Pete (547) that jr does seem to drift more than the others, but this does go with his aggressive style of driving. It will be interesting to see how it goes on the other tracks.

Heat 1
Best Lap Tm 14.711 In Lap 10
Best Speed 74.883 by Alan Gray

Heat 2
Best Lap Tm 14.646 In Lap 13
Best Speed 75.215 by Peter Scott Jnr

Final
Best Lap Tm 14.583 In Lap 9
Best Speed 75.540 by Peter Scott Jnr

Thanks again for all the comments
Luke
Luke_Bantin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moss8one5 on Sat May 24, 2008 2:47 am

jack wrote:Hi, Take all the wings off and revert back to roof fins. Then the roofs could be painted in grade colour down to the 'waist' and the spectators would know who's what grade.

Not a bad idea but if drivers cant paint there wings the correct grade color what chance is there of them painting there roofs. I personally think it either needs to be all the wing or don't bother at all.

(i try to have my whole wing painted but that just me)

On the 99 car i personally think it is good to have someone trying diffrent things with there cars and doesn't seem to be making much diffrence to his times.
moss8one5

View user profile http://peaheadz.com

Back to top Go down

Clarification.

Post  PRV8547 on Sat May 24, 2008 7:36 am

The rule book says "wing or roof to be painted your grade colour".

PRV8547

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Sat May 24, 2008 8:32 am

It doesn't Pete, it says the following:
"The complete top face of the aerofoil must be painted in grade colour, unless a champion as listed in the
chart. In this case the complete top area of the aerofoil must be painted as per chart. If an aerofoil is not fitted
the complete roof must be in grade order"

When did it change anyway? It used to be a 6" wide strip across the front face of the wing or roof, didn't it?
While we're at it, why not revert back to black numbers on a white background as well, so they are easily read?

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rule Book

Post  PRV8547 on Sat May 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Spedeworth Red Book. Page 31. S.26. ROOF GRADING
Section 2 - V8 Stock Cars
Must have a a minimum of 50% of the roof or wing covered with their roof grading colour. 547

PRV8547

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Seems lke there's two sets of rules floating around.

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pg125 on Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 am

http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/drivers/Rules/2008%20V8%20Stock%20Cars.pdf

im with jack on this one and on the black and white number point as well.

im pretty sure the 6" strip rule changed this year i think it was still in last years book but i do remember a drivers meeting at winbledon last year (either our w/f meeting or the superstox w/f meeting it was) where deane stated that he was gonna change the strip rule because he wanted the whole front face of the wing painted in grade colour to make it easier for spectators to distinguish the grades on the cars.

i gotta say i completely agree with this.

p.s Luke i did hear that one of the main reasons for junior changing his wing was so the car would fit in the trailer although that said clearly from looking at the small wing there has been a lot of thought put in to it.

pg125

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harris Racing #32 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:46 am

Just thought I'd have a quick reply to the above....

We're trying to move the formula forward with the times and not go back to the past!!! Black numbers on White background!!! Boring and looks bland, not pleasing to the eye...Leave the aerofoils as they are as they give the cars a different look and help with the handling...

Daryl
Harris Racing #32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

aerofoil

Post  skunkworks on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:19 am

ive just read this article and find it quite amusing.the reason for fitting the wing was to prove a point and the rest is history
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:56 am

Can't you get Jr to fit just a roof fin for the last Wimbledon, even for one race? Would be interesting to see what his lap times are.

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

aerofoils

Post  skunkworks on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:11 pm

we have toiled with the idea for a while. the reason we havnt is i feel the sport needs to move forward and it would send out the wrong message.
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jack on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:54 am

Depends what way you look at it, especially with the current situation. If it was proven that the cars go no slower without a wing, it immediately makes the formula cheaper, thus possibly more appealing.
Regards the formula progressing, maybe, just maybe the cars have progressed too far. If the formula took a few steps backwards it may be more appealing to new drivers or drivers from other formulas. What way they take a few steps backwards I don't know, that's up to the drivers.
What do you all think?

jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am

I feel the formula is one of the cheapest to get involved in and the running costs throughout the season are fine.
As with anything the travelling is the most expensive part but that is the same for any form of racing.
If cars only had fins they would look like historics and take the individuality out of the v8s. I feel my car was different when the front wing was off let alone the roof wing! Jnrs is a very well made half wing and obviously suits his car as i am sure he wouldnt have something on the car which did nothing to help it.
As i have said before the thing stopping people getting involved was the uncertainty, so now with the future secured we should go all out to attract new people into the formula.Theres nothing wrong with it!

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  skunkworks on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:46 am

i totally agree as for the uncertainty bit i beg to differ.this formula has always suffered from lack of and unreliability of cars.to attract new blood into a formula you need decent car builders that are going to supply the complete package.you see these cars advertised less engine and box.can you imagine where he would start.i dont know of many scrap yards i can go and get a cf gearbox,several years ago i tried to help by offering a gearbox package right down to the gear shift, only for spedeworth to change the rules and allow the 2 speed back, where does the cost come into that.grade awards should be handed out at each meetig, the lower grade drivers are the ones you need to attract on a regular basis, which will make for a much more even race, not all red tops.its a lo t harder to win a race right from the back when there are a lot lower grade drivers in the race and they have a better chance of winning.last but not least it is a contact sportand thats what the crowd want to see. more entertaining which attracts a bigger crowd which would result in a bright future.
skunkworks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:40 am

I agree about the lower graders, i think you can tell how a formula is doing by the amount of white tops on the grid, and there were a few times when us yellow tops were starting behind the pace car!
But at least there were a couple of new faces in the last couple of meetings which can only be good.
What was the gearbox system you were going to introduce as i am sure there would be quite a few of us interested in what you had in mind. I run a 3 speed chevy and im not sure it will fit too well in my new car so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Rob2

bobdernob2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjg on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 am

Areofoils seem to be down to personal preference. I think some of the cars would look daft with jnr's areofoil. I remember when jnr's car had the large areofoil on it, I thought, due to the small cab, it didn't look quite right, but now with the smaller one it looks spot on.

I agree totally with Skunkworks, unless you are in the know, the thought of 350 chevvy lumps just cries out s, and in my opinion, that is what puts off drivers from other formulas moving over. Once up and running, I don't doubt for a minute that costs are lower than other formulas, but I think it's the 1st thought that puts them off.

Just an observation, but noticed that other formulas have had meetings with the promoters to disscuss issues. Do the V8's get the chance to express an opinion?
ie, Yarmouth, is there any point for next season?

Regards to all.

mjg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum